Thursday, September 10, 2009

"You're what??? Movin' to Teronna??"

That was almost always invariably the reaction I got when I told people back in NB that I indeed had decided to pack up and move to the big smoke. The following are some quotes from people after I told them the startling news:

"Oh but what about the traffic??" - Contrary to popular belief, Toronto is not one big traffic jam 24 hours a day. 90% of the time it is fairly easy to get around. Traffic is a byproduct of there actually being things to do here. In Fredericton "traffic" consists of 3 cars being in front of you at the light and usually only happens right before Christmas. Toronto does not shut down at 10pm. This is a good thing. Usually when there is traffic there are alternative routes to get where you're going. People do more than just sit at home or go to the movies here, it's an amazing concept. It's surprising how fast you can get used to driving on a 6 lane highway really, it doesn't even phase me. It's amazing really.

"Aren't you afraid of getting shot?" - It might be hard to believe but I have never been shot at yet. I'm sure my mom pictures me stepping out of my place and dodging bullets like I am in the Matrix. I'm waiting to see if this year I get a Kevlar vest for Christmas. I'd wear it to the Walmart by my place just for fun. Just like back home there are places you don't go when it's dark outside. There are places you drive through quickly with the car doors locked. I try not to frequent the 7-11's with the bars on the doors. I don't walk down the street avoiding drive-by's. Some people even say hi here, it may be in a different language and I may be hoping they just said hi, but that is how I choose to see it. I am the eternal optimist though as anyone who knows me will attest...

"What about all those people? I couldn't handle that many people!" - Sure there are a lot of people here, a ton of people. Population of Fredericton approximately 70,000. Population of Toronto approximately 3.5 million or so. That is a lot of people, I agree. All those people are not in my living room though, I don't turn around in my kitchen and hit someone with a turban (although after some nights that are a bit fuzzy, I wouldn't be surprised). I don't have to push past people on the sidewalk all the time (seldom if ever). Riding the subway is a different story though, when it is packed with people I want to freak out just a bit. I'll give you that one. It doesn't happen much anymore since I don't work downtown, but remembering it makes me shudder just a little.

"You must have lost your mind!" - I can't really argue this one, all I can say is it was bound to happen at some point. I'm surprised I held on to the last shreds of sanity as long as I did, like a fat kid and the last smartie in the box (the days were numbered). NB is great for some people (great place to raise children, retire...), but it definitely was not the only place I wanted to live my entire life. I like to be able to go see concerts from somebody other than Blue Rodeo, Def Leppard or local bands (of which there were some good ones). I like to be able to go to live sporting events. I like to go places where everyone does not know my name and could care less that I came. I appreciate being able to go to a pub and not seeing one of my buddy's exes. These are just some of the joys of living in the city. Overall, a wise choice on my part I must say. I made the decision and haven't looked back.

Random Toronto Moments:
Wondering around downtown and seeing a homeless guy absolutely freaking out yelling at a storm grate. I'm not sure what the storm grate did since it was not yelling back. If I asked the homeless guy, he might have told me different. I try to make it a general rule in my life that if someone is having an argument with an inanimate object, I don't take sides or try to mediate.

Riding the bus one day there was a weird looking guy with wild eyes sitting there just surveying the situation. An attractive blond girl was sitting beside him minding her own business, he didn't seem to notice her at all. The guy gets to his stop and stands up, turns to the girl and yells "I DON'T LIKE YOUR FACE!!" and smiles ridiculously while exiting the bus. Walking outside the bus he looks directly at me (still on the bus and mesmerized by what just happened) and yells "RUN!!". Absolutely captivating, who needs TV?

No comments:

Post a Comment