Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dickie's 2010 in Review

Happy New Year to my dedicated readers and may this post find you all rich and content. If it doesn't, then too bad - suck it up and carry on. Maybe 2011 will be the year for you, maybe it won't. First off I would like to apologize for the long delays between posts, it is hard to build the necessary momentum with a post every six weeks or so. I will make an attempt to vamp this up as time permits in this new year full of potential and wonder. It's the least I can do...without further adieu, here are the highlights.

2009 ended and 2010 began with me almost throwing a short little f*ckface of a man out the window of a 21st floor condo. Luckily I refrained, otherwise my 2010 would have taken on a totally different, less optimistic look. No matter how justified you may be in doing so, law enforcement generally frowns on people being thrown through windows of highrise condos.

I don't remember much about the Winter and Spring, other than finally getting rid of my piece of shit VW and the now infamous "hoodie scandal". I would elaborate further on this, but I fear if I commit it to a public forum I may be attacked by the hoodie thief. But seriously, who steals an f*cking hoodie from someone they are dating?? That doesn't seem like a good way to make a positive impression to me, but maybe I am just old fashioned like that. It's still a touchy subject with little chance of resolution. Let's move on.

The summer of 2010 marked my first vacation to anywhere significant since 2007. A sweet deal and a group of friends was all the convincing it took to get me to Varadero, Cuba. Sun, drinks and girls in skimpy bikinis? Count Dickie in for that. It was a great trip aside from an episode where I was worried I had the Bubonic plague for about a day. There was one particular episode where 3 of us were quite far out in the water and the waves were decently choppy. Huge prehistoric looking birds were flying overhead and one of them nosedived the water close to me. It scared the hell out of me to be honest. What happened next scared us even more. Literally thousands of silver fish started swimming in and around our legs (first thing I thought was pirahnas, not a safe feeling). All of a sudden these fish start flying out of the water, some bouncing off of us and back into the water. We were literally under siege. I kept expecting to see blood in the water, but it turned out the attack was harmless. I decided to get the hell out of the water once the thought entered my mind that something was CHASING these fish and terrifying them. Couple that with the fact that a shark was found near the beach days before and I was out of the water in a flash. I don't know much about sharks, but I do know that being on land greatly decreases the odds of getting bitten by one. Still frazzled by the excitement when we left, I forgot a sweet painting I bought in the hotel room. The rest of summer was not overly memorable aside from the abundance of sweet weather and my 14 hour solo drive to NB (which I did both ways overnight). That particular experiment taught me that there is a fine line where levels of Monster Energy drink will go from energizer to hallucinogen. I swear I was dodging purple unicorns along the side of the road at one point. That's not nearly as fun as it sounds, take my word for it. I also attempted to fight two speeding tickets and the freaking cop showed up each time. Not the best year for luck overall.

Fall was not overly memorable either. Winter brought about some happenings that literally made me believe that hell might be freezing over, but overall it was a pleasant ride. Christmas was spent in Quebec with great friends and skiing. What more could you ask for?

My plan going into 2010 was merely to survive it and it ended up being a decently good year. My plan going into 2011 is to make it a year worth remembering in 10 years down the road so we will see where it all takes me. If you get in my way I will take you down, you've been warned.

And remember that any time you have a chance to harness the power of dynamic inertia, you've got to do it.

2 comments:

  1. Giver hell and don't look back unless you hear the sound of a dead goat... And if that is the case... Look back for a second... Then run like a fat kid chasing the ice cream truck!

    IceTrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish they had been piranhas (CORRECT! Well, thank you Speak & Spell :P)...I mean you would have died famous! First saltwater piranhas ever discovered by Dickie! 2010 could have been your year - your last one, but yours nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete